Yesterday was a fun day in our house. We had my daughter’s 12th birthday party. The house was filled with 11 girls – lots of laughter and fun. As my baby is approaching
the teenage years, I know we will be in for many changes.
As I think about my daughter getting ready for change in her life, I too took on change this past week. I’m in between Beachbody workout programs right now and decided to embrace change this week. And I can feel the change!
Do you embrace change or resist change?
For most people change is hard. We are comfortable in our routines. We know what to expect. We don’t need to plan or think about what we are doing. It’s easier to just go on autopilot. But to get in shape fast, you do need to change up your routine.
As the saying goes, change is good. Do you want to lose more fat? Get fit? Improve you time? Improve your strength? If you answered Yes to one of these questions, then you do need to change your workout routine. No resisting allowed.
Following the same workout routine day in and day out, your body becomes used to the routine. As the body adjusts to the same workout everyday, it is normal for the body to adapt on a cardiovascular, respiratory, and cellular level. Over time, the rest of the body to adapt to the routine too. The changes and improvement in your body will slow down as well. You will hit a plateau in your fitness. That why you need to embrace change. Trust me, change will help you get in shape fast.
Even small changes such as:
- Change the time of day you exercise.
- Change the exercise for different body parts. For example, instead of doing triceps kickbacks do triceps dips.
- Change the location of your workout. If you run on a treadmill, run outside, run some hills.
- Change the intensity of your workout. Instead of jogging on the treadmill, add some sprint. Or in-between weight lifting exercises throw in a burst of cardio.
- Try a new exercise class or type of exercise. Try kettle balls instead of regular free weights.
- These types of changes will challenge your body and make it work harder. The harder it has to work, the change you will see.
When to change?
Usually you don’t want to change up your routines for at least 3 weeks. Your body and muscle fibers do need this time to adapt to exercises. Your body may still get gains 8- 12 weeks into a routine. Beginners general take longer for their bodies to adapt to the routine so they will see longer gains. And conversely, more experienced people may get the maximum benefits after only 3 – 4 weeks of a routine.
As I mentioned above, I’m in between workout routines right now. I’m trying to decide what to do next. My week was a complete change of pace and my muscles felt it. My changes were a bit extreme, but it helped me stay motivated and not become bored this week. Here’s what I did:
- Monday I did a RevAbs workout. You’d think my abs would be sore, but instead my butt was sore from all the lunges.
- Tuesday I went golfing with my husband. Not a huge workout since we take a cart, but I did swing the club a lot.
- Wednesday I did the P90X Shoulders, Biceps and Triceps workout. Lots of iron pumping here. One of my weakest areas, my triceps were sore for a few days afterwards.
- Thursday I cashed in on a Groupon I bought for a Pilates reformer class. My inner thighs and my upper back got a bit sore from this workout.
- Friday I joined my husband for a Les Mills Combat HIIT workout. Although it’s only 30 minutes, it’s an intense 30 minutes of squats, burpies, and push-ups.
- Saturday was a beautiful day, after several rainy days here in Laguna Beach, so I headed to the outdoors for an hour long hike in the hills. Love the beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean from the top.
- Sunday, was a day off of working out. Too much to do with the birthday party. The soreness I felt this week in my muscles is a great sign. A sign that my body was working differently and getting stronger.
When was the last time you changed your workout routine?
If it’s been more than a month, start thinking about how you could change it. Don’t fear change. It’s good for you and will help you get to your goals quicker and you will get in shape fast this way. If you need some suggestions or tips, come over to my Facebook Page and ask. I’d be happy to help.
If you are looking for a completely different workout, Beachbody has some great deals in March. These program map out your workouts for you, so you don’t need to think about changing things up. That’s how I got in shape fast. Just follow the plan! Click on the links below for more information.
Cheers to change!
Kathryn Wong is a Fitness Coach who works with others to help them realize their dreams and potential. After years of putting her education, corporate career and family first, she knew something had to change. Kathryn struggled with exercise and healthy eating for a number of years, until she found the magic combination of P90X and Insanity that changed everything. She finally got in shape fast and realized that P90X and Insanity are for women too.
Whether you are lacking energy, drive, motivation, or financial means, Kathryn is here to help you get the RESULTS you WANT and DESERVE. It’s never too late! Get in Shape Fast! http://www.facebook.com/coachkathrynw