We were invited to a Super Bowl party this year and asked to bring a “hearty” appetizer. It’s hard to come up with something hearty and healthy. My husband found a recipe for shrimp ceviche the previous week in the LA Times and we thought we’d give it a try. We modified the recipe a little and doubled it. It was a big hit at the party next to the tacos, nachos, fried chicken wings, and sub sandwiches. It was light, fresh, “clean” and delicious — just look at all the color!
- 1 lb of black tiger shrimp, tail on
- 3/4 c fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium onion
- 2 – 3 tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro
- 1/2 – 1 serrano pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Sea salt to taste
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add the shrimps and cook just until they turn a light pink, about 1 min. Drain immediately and place in a ice bath to cool and stop the cooking.
- Peel and devane the shrimps. Coarsely chop the shrimp and place in a medium bowl. Toss the shrimp with the lemon juice and set aside for about 1 hour to marinate.
- While the shrimp is marinating, chop the onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and serrano pepper and place in a large bowl.
- After the shrimp has marinated (it should be whitish pink and firm throughout), drain the shrimp, saving the liquid. Add the shrimp to the large bowl. Stir in the cumin, black pepper, oregano and garlic powder, and season with 1/4 tsp of salt. Taste, and add back a little of the strained lemon juice to brighten the flavors and season with more salt if necessary.
Ceviche is a seafood dish popular in Central and South America. It’s made from fresh raw fish marinated in citrus juices, such as lemon or lime, and spiced with chili peppers. Sometimes it also contains onions, salt, and coriander.
What’s unique about ceviche is that it’s not cooked. The citrus juices actual “cook” the fish – partially or completely, depending on how long it is marinated. The citric acid in the juice does changes the proteins in the fish, making the fish more opaque and firm, just as if it had been cooked. Ceviche is usually made with sea bass or flounder, but just about any fish or shellfish, like shrimp in the above recipe.
Two summers ago my family went on an adventurous vacation to Panama. When we travel, we love to experience the local culture, especially the food. While we were in Panama City we visited the local fish market one day at lunchtime (see picture). The market was full of amazing fresh fish and you could buy cups of fresh ceviche. So of course we tried four different ceviche that day for our lunch. It was fresh, delicious and healthy! If you ever are in Panama City, a stop at the fish market is a must!
Let me know if you give the recipe a try. Would love to hear what you thought of it by posting on my Facebook Page. It’s a great recipe to add your your healthy eating and as you work to get in shape fast!
Click through here for more information on how we help people Get in Shape Fast with my private coaching groups.
Kathryn Wong is a Fitness Coach who works with others to help them realize their dreams and potential. After years of putting her education, corporate career and family first, she was unhappy with her life and body. She knew something had to change. Kathryn struggled with exercise and healthy eating for a number of years, until she found the magic combination that changed everything. She finally got in shape fast.
Kathryn jumped at the opportunity to dump her corporate career and follow her new passion of fitness and health, while maintaining a balanced family life. She now helps others who lack hope and are unhappy with their current situation to change their life too. Whether you are lacking energy, drive, motivation, or financial means, Kathryn is here to help you get the RESULTS you WANT and DESERVE. It’s never too late! Get in Shape Fast! http://www.facebook.com/coachkathrynw